What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours
Author : Helen Oyeyemi
Publisher : Riverhead Books
Release : March 8, 2016
Genre : Science Fiction & Fantasy
“Transcendent.” —The New York Times Book Review
“Flawless. . . another masterpiece from an author who seems incapable of writing anything that’s less than brilliant.” —NPR
From the award-winning author of Boy, Snow, Bird and Mr. Fox comes an enchanting collection of intertwined stories.
Playful, ambitious, and exquisitely imagined, What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours is cleverly built around the idea of keys, literal and metaphorical. The key to a house, the key to a heart, the key to a secret—Oyeyemi’s keys not only unlock elements of her characters’ lives, they promise further labyrinths on the other side. In “Books and Roses” one special key opens a library, a garden, and clues to at least two lovers’ fates. In “Is Your Blood as Red as This?” an unlikely key opens the heart of a student at a puppeteering school. “‘Sorry’ Doesn’t Sweeten Her Tea” involves a “house of locks,” where doors can be closed only with a key—with surprising, unobservable developments. And in “If a Book Is Locked There’s Probably a Good Reason for That Don’t You Think,” a key keeps a mystical diary locked (for good reason).
Oyeyemi’s tales span multiple times and landscapes as they tease boundaries between coexisting realities. Is a key a gate, a gift, or an invitation? What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours captivates as it explores the many possible answers.
About the Author
Langue : English
File size : 1.6 MB
Format : EPUB + MOBI
- Everything, Everything
- 100 Deadly Skills: The SEAL Operative’s Guide to Eluding Pursuers, Evading Capture, and Surviving Any Dangerous Situation
- My Fight / Your Fight
- Crippled America: How to Make America Great Again
- I Almost Forgot About You
- The Man in the High Castle
- At the Existentialist Café: Freedom, Being, and Apricot Cocktails with Jean-Paul Sartre, Simone de Beauvoir, Albert Camus, Martin Heidegger, Maurice Merleau-Ponty and Others
- The Name of God Is Mercy
- The Association of Small Bombs
- Big Rock